Verizon launches Pantech PN-820 Smartphone

February 5th, 2007

Verizon Pantech PN-820

Verizon Wireless has launched the Pantech PN-820 smartphone. The PN-820 is powered by Windows Mobile 5 and comes packed with 1.3 megapixel, Bluetooth, miniSD memory card slot and a clamshell design. You can pick up the Pantech PN-820 from Verizon for only $149.99 with contract after online discounts.

Phone Details at Verizon Wireless

Entry Filed under: Carrier News,Latest Phones

PotatoMan  |  March 24th, 2007 at 5:49 pm

have been using the new Verizon PN-820 for 1 week now. It is really great. Most everything works as expected. This is the ONLY Verizon Smartphone (Windows Mobile OS) withOUT a tiny keyboard. It syncs with Outlook: smooth as pig grease.
    BUT, it will not accept voice commands or voice calls thru the bluetooth headset. I called Verizon and Motorola. I also went to the Verizon store and spent 1 hour with a tech. Their conclusion: the feature just does not work! This is sad since this is a key phone for Verizon…their only phone with these key features.

There is a vague hope that Pantech will issue a software upgrade that will fix this problem with the bluetooth voice dialing and commands.

bjoy  |  March 28th, 2007 at 3:37 pm

I love my pn-820 as well. 2 Questions: The only thing is with my failing eyesight, I find it very hard to read the Home screen. Is there anyway to make the fonts larger and change the order of items that are listed?

Also, I like the outside LCD display. However, it goes on and then off way too quickly. Is there a way to adjust this?

thanks

David  |  April 4th, 2007 at 2:36 pm

I read that if you upgrade to Voice Command 1.6, you can voice dial with a BT headset. BUT, this may also cause the incoming calls to be announced both in your headset an on the phone’s speaker.

John Marshall  |  April 12th, 2007 at 10:11 pm

I have no problem receiving voice calls via a bluetooth headset and calls initiated with voice command via the phone itself have transferred seamlessly to the headset on the 4 separate headsets I have tried in effort to find ONE that would work as far as implementing voice commands VIA the headset. Thusfar – to no avail via an LG, 2 Motorola, and a Plantronics – although I DID get it to do so 3 successive times on ONE occasion – and neither I nor Verizon personnel have been able to duplicate the feat since.

Chris Carstens  |  May 8th, 2007 at 10:01 am

Amazing. I’m in Shanghai, (Purchased on-line in the USA) and had my PN-820 in my suitcase. Just as a lark, I turned it on, and punched in a number. Amazing, it works just like I was at home. Made a couple of calls from the cab coming back to the hotel. No problem getting through.

By the way, is this the most amazing non-release of a piece of equipment ever??? They still don’t have it in the stores in San Diego, and none of the clerks there have ever seen one. What’s up with that??

Susan  |  May 10th, 2007 at 12:54 am

Has anyone moved from an Audiovox (aka UTC) xv6700 Verizon Smartphone to a Pantech PN-820?

I have the xv6700 & I find it is all too easy for the phone – on its own! – to redial the last call either rec’d or made- and to redial & to redial & redial. It’s embarrassing, costly & compromising to privacy.
    I’m thinking the flipphone form factor will help with this, plus the PN-820 is so much smaller & lighter. How about downloading attachments, managing contacts in-phone or accessing remote database by web?
    Also, does anyone use ACT! as a contact manager? Does it work on either of these phones? How? Also, have you tried “ACT! Premium for Web?” & to use a handheld component? (I use to have a PALM PDA, but it broke as has all my PALM devices, but it was great for syncronizing a huge contact database: 6000+ now up to 6500+ contacts. Can I use my Smartphone?)

Also, how do I convince Verizon that the xv6700 is too unwieldy for me & I need to trade out (before my contract is up in Nov 2008) to a better? phone at least in flipphone form factor??? And to do it as a wash across the board or at worse, at the same attractive offer that new customers are being given ($99after rebates)
    Thanks. I will be forever grateful. Owner of Phone with more smarts

rosarito mexico&hellip  |  June 7th, 2007 at 1:43 pm

rosarito mexico

rosarito mexico moves

Rodney  |  August 20th, 2007 at 6:19 pm

I have 6 of the VX6700 Smart phones in my 70 phone fleet, after 3 of them have been replaced twice the 3rd time they allowed me to swap then out for Treo 700 WX units, they are working much better but there are thoes problems that only pushing the reset button will fix, but its not several times a day as with the 6700

online-prepaid-phone-call&hellip  |  August 22nd, 2007 at 4:26 am

[...] review this courtly snippet at http://www.howardchui.com/2007/02/05/verizon-launches-pantech-pn-820-smartphone/ about [...]

virgin-phone-card.1phonec&hellip  |  August 22nd, 2007 at 4:26 am

[...] mysterious site now evaluate this preview http://www.howardchui.com/2007/02/05/verizon-launches-pantech-pn-820-smartphone/ and give comments [...] virgin phone [...]

Todd  |  February 2nd, 2008 at 3:30 pm

I bought a Pantech 820. Its a good phone and I especially liked the clamshell design. Unfortunaltely, Verizon does not support the product. I was just at a Verizon store and they didn’t even recognize the phone after selling it to me 8 month ago. They don’t have the software to transfer numbers and don’t (never did) carry the optional extended battery. I wish Verizon would have said they weren’t going to support the phone. I guess it was so cheap they weren’t making a lot of money selling it.