Nokia 5300

March 14th, 2007

The image “http://www.howardchui.com/gallery/albums/userpics/10001/normal_inhand%7E3.jpg” cannot be displayed, because it contains errors.

Here’s my Nokia 5300 review. The 5300 is what Nokia calls a music phone. Which means the phone is just like their other phones but music player specific buttons have been added.

Make sure you check out the 5300 gallery for some pictures.

Physical Impressions:

The 5300 feels very light and has a empty/hollow feeling. Despite this, it’s a fairly solid phone. The battery cover is virtually impossible to remove which helps eliminate the creaking you usually get when you squeeze a Nokia phone.

The sliding action is spring loaded so it’s pretty slick. You might not notice that at first since the 5300 feels so empty.

Keys stick out and are easy to find without looking. They depress with a nice click.

There are side mounted media keys which can usually be used to control the music player (more on this later). There are skip forwards/backwards, play/pause buttons on the left side and volume up/down plus a camera button on the right.

You get a 2.0″ display that has a resolution of 240×320. It can display up to 262k colours and looks and works fine in most lighting conditions.

Hands-free usage:

You get a speakerphone, 2.5mm headset connector (that’s right, there’s no pop port connector on this phone) and support for Bluetooth headsets.

Miscellaneous:

You get around 7.5MB of built-in memory plus there’s a MicroSD slot locked behind the battery door cover. It’s not beneath the battery so you can swap memory cards without having to remove the battery.

Menus:

There are 2 different kinds of standby displays. There’s the regular one that just has some icons to tell you what programs will get launched if you press up/down/left/right. The other is called active standy which displays more info; with it you can launch more programs from the standy display plus you can view info from your datebook.

I normally prefer the regular standy but for some reason the icons on the regular standby display are really small so it looks funny.

The menu icons and text are quite large and look great. Most of the menus are standard Nokia fare but I noticed they changed the tone menu. You can now change the volume for items in that menu by pressing left or right.

Phone Related Features:

When you’re at the standby screen I noticed that you can type in a number, choose options and then have that number as the time on a countdown timer. So if you type in 100, the countdown timer would have 1 minute on it. This is great if you exercise a lot and need to keep track. It really fits in with the 5300′s sporty appearance. It’s also good for cooking.

The phonebook looks slightly different when you’re adding contacts but the idea is still the same. First you enter an name and number and then save it, then you choose whether you want to add more details. There are a few new extra fields like formal name and nickname.

Connected Features:

There’s a mini USB cable on top of the 5300. When you connect the 5300 to your computer, it will ask you which mode you want to use. There’s a mass storage mode which means you can access the file system without needed special drivers or software provided you’re not using an ancient computer. There are also modes for phonebook syncing and printing.

You can sync the 5300 with your PC using Nokia PC Suite (it’s a free download).

I clocked the 5300 at around 0.9MB/s when in mass storage mode which is pretty good for a phone. It could be that the memory card was holding the 5300 back so it might even be faster than that.

The USB connector does NOT recharge the 5300 so don’t connect it to your computer thinking it will do so.

There’s also Bluetooth and infrared port (does anyone still use IR?).

Like most Nokia S40 devices there’s no built-in email client (boo).

The browser is pretty standard fare. It can handle HTML pages but it lacks the memory to make this feature useful plus there aren’t any special viewing modes. If you want to view regular webpages you can download Opera Mini.

Multimedia Features:

There’s a built-in 1.3 megapixel camera. Image quality is okay for a camera of this resolution. There’s no built-in flash so the camera won’t be useful when it’s dark. You’ll get really really grainy pictures in those sort of situations.

Please note the follow section is based on my experiences with the Nokia 5300 from Roger’s wireless. If you’re thinking of getting a 5300 from elsewhere, your experiences will probably be much better.

As you can probably tell by the side mounted music player buttons, the 5300′s raison d’etre is to be a music player. With this in mind, the 5300 from Rogers totally sucks. In general, carriers aren’t stupid but they do make a lot of stupid decisions and the 5300 is a good example of this. To illustrate, Rogers has a music store that they want to use with the 5300. So in their infinite wisdom they decided to disable the built-in music player so that they can replace it with their own java based music player that can playback DRM’d music from their store. The java based music player is java based so there’s no background play (that sucks), but even worse you can’t use the side mounted buttons with it (that sucks even worse).

The music store lets you stream music as you’re downloading it which is nice but the 5300 only supports EDGE so to allow music streaming you have to download low quality versions of songs (I’m talking 800k for a 4 minute song vs 4 or 5MB). The music player CAN playback mp3′s on your memory card (That’s about the only good thing about it).

Like I mentioned before, the songs are DRM’d so you can’t stick them on your iPod for example.

Seriously, I HATE the Rogers music player. It’s the lamest thing ever! It’s like ordering a hot dog and just getting the bun. If you are unlucky enough to have gotten your 5300 from Rogers I suggest you find someone who can debrand it for you ASAP. It’s as if Rogers added the music player but never bothered to test it. Either that or someone actually thinks the music player doesn’t suck. Talk about not thinking your farts stink.

The 5300 doesn’t support A2DP so you have to use wired headphones if you want to listen to music.

Organizer Features:

You get an alarm clock, calendar, to-do list, notes, calculator, countown timer, stop watch and voice recorder.

The calendar and to-do list sync with your computer. I don’t see support for the 5300 on Apple’s iSync website (just like any other newer model phone). I’m sure it will show up eventually.

About the only thing you don’t get is a unit converter.

Impressions:

RF performance is about average.

Incoming sound quality is not bad. There is a bit of hiss but you won’t notice it unless you’re in a quiet room. Outgoing sound quality is a bit harsh sounding plus there is hiss.

Maximum earpiece volume could be a bit higher.

It was kind of hard to find the 5300′s sweet spot (the spot where the earpiece is loudest).

Conclusion:

The Nokia 5300 isn’t bad. The feature set is okay and the phone is really easy to use. It looks cool and has a nice slide open/close action.

However, the Nokia 5300 from Rogers is just awful. Why anyone would disable the built-in music player for some lousy java applet is beyond comprehension. It’s just an example of why some carriers have no business customizing phones. As an encore, Rogers should customize a phone so that it can’t make phone calls.

Ratings (out of 5)
Build Quality 3.5
Battery Life 4
Phone Related Features 3.5
Ease of Use 3.5
RF Performance 3.5
Degree of Customizability 3
Overall (not an average) 3.5
*Please note these ratings are temporal and are really only valid for the date they were assigned. A phone which receives a rating of 5 a year ago will probably get a lower rating today.

Pros:

• Nice sliding action
  • Side mounted buttons
  • Menu looks nice
  • No Pop port

Cons:

• No A2DP
  • Rogers branded 5300′s have a lousy music player
  • Rogers branded 5300′s have no background music play

Discuss this review at HowardForums.com
See the gallery here
Written by Howard Chui 03.13.2007
This article may not be reproduced without the the author’s permission.

Entry Filed under: Phones

adam nguyen  |  March 15th, 2007 at 2:34 am

It does support a2dp.

Scott Robinson » Bl&hellip  |  March 15th, 2007 at 2:11 pm

[...] can check out his complete review at HowardChui.com and the Gallery [...]

luderr_jAi  |  March 17th, 2007 at 3:41 pm

my parents each got one in blue and gray. pretty decent phone for both of them. features reminds me of the w810. make sure u dont get t-moble. its another nokiaaaaa

jayd  |  March 19th, 2007 at 2:29 pm

hey my sis just got one n is good i like it, it comes with one gb SD so i put alot of videos n some mp3 if i had da money i would buy dis fone

chad  |  March 19th, 2007 at 11:16 pm

Just got it. Ok so far except like above, hard to find the sweet spot. Also, another experience I had was that sometime during my use, I got feedback (literally like a microphone next to a speaker with the squealing noise). Cool thing is it has a built in radio, kinda cool at this point since I haven’t been able to put any mp3s yet.

CellPhonesGurus  |  March 20th, 2007 at 2:45 pm

The phone looks cool at least, I’d say it looks 20x better than most Nokias. Maybe they’ll actually care about that now.

Drunkazhel  |  April 26th, 2007 at 10:07 pm

I wish, oh how I wish I had read this review before I decided to order the 5300. The selling point of this phone for me was the dedicated music player buttons on the outside. And to find out that you can’t use them except for FM radio listening is disguisting. You can add your own music but don’t expect to play songs in shuffle mode,make a playlist,or just play to one song after another, no can do on your Rogers 5300. I had the nokia 6085, it doesn’t have the dedicated music buttons but the music player that’s built in at least does what it’s suppose to do. Rogers didn’t disable it, go figure. This 5300 is getting shipped back first thing smoking in the morning. Bewared; stay away from the Rogers version.

rjramones  |  May 1st, 2007 at 6:40 pm

my girlfriend and i bought one each just the other day. i’d have to say this phone is great… so far. too bad about your “Rogers” situation…

TAZ  |  May 20th, 2007 at 10:16 am

I am sure willing to have this set….it’s one of my fevourite.

groupoid  |  May 20th, 2007 at 8:34 pm

Enterprising hackers on howardforums have already figured out the Rogers branding situation. As someone already mentioned it does support a2dp – I don’t have a stereo bluetooth headset but I can confirm it streams through my PC. If you really want the unit converter you can get that too right here. I’m not a phone junkie, but I like this phone; I got it through T-Mobile in the USA.

Dmond  |  May 23rd, 2007 at 10:55 pm

As Nokia seems not to be held responsible for the Rogers Music player, at least Nokia should try to save their name and get it removed from the device before Rogers “brand” it with its poorly designed, poorly tested application (it’s not working in Flight mode!!!). If Nokia is not a service provider, I think that Rogers should be a application developper!.
    D

nokia out  |  May 31st, 2007 at 12:26 pm

can u buy the phone without the rogers thing

tutmo  |  June 4th, 2007 at 1:03 pm

here’s a step-by-step vid of how to unlock the 5300 by yourself. just found it last night and it works great. i was locked to rogers and player sucked. they also disabled the a2dp functionality of the phone, which is why i chose it in the first place. i deleted the damn thing from my applications list right away. the vid shows how to reset the phone to factory settings. this will restore the original music player, AND let you use your mp3s for ring and text tones.
    also, here’s the link for the application you need as shown in the vid.

cheers!

mansoor  |  June 28th, 2007 at 7:42 am

this my new website plz come to my web site thanks all friendz

hotk  |  July 20th, 2007 at 10:01 am

it cannot download java application greater than 1mb

aravind  |  August 5th, 2007 at 12:29 pm

no..os.
    no..wav format
    vry loud sound….
    no music clarity..in head phones
    cant read pdf files..
    no e book
    vga camera….
    ….tis phone is totally wase…………….

aravind  |  August 5th, 2007 at 12:29 pm

Salvatrucho  |  August 5th, 2007 at 3:27 pm

Hey how can u download music from the computer n wat website oooooooo n i got my phone like 1 month in i like it cuz it is better than the other phone i had.

Ray  |  August 7th, 2007 at 11:46 am

how can i add music to my nokia 5300 if i dont have a memory card

boo Rogers!  |  August 12th, 2007 at 1:38 am

a lesson to all: RESEARCH before you buy.
    just like someone on this page, i wish i had read THIS particular review before i bought the 5300.

yes, and boo, i got it from Rogers too. i was so excited to dig out all my fav mp3 on my comp to use them as ringtones, only to find the option dimmed in grey – not available (it said something about authorization). and when i press the side buttons for music, it asked for “connect an enhancement”. when i did connect the headphones, it connected to freakin radio!?!?! who on earth would listen to the radio on a my-fav-mp3-playable device?!

so, yes, RESEARCH before you buy!
    and now that i have, i will find a way to debrand this Rogers-piece-of-crap

zjh  |  August 20th, 2007 at 4:39 am

cawte

ja  |  August 20th, 2007 at 4:40 am

ccawte vsetci asi mi nerozumiete(isto)

stop-smoking-with-prozac.&hellip  |  September 7th, 2007 at 10:04 am

[...] pop into this spine-tingling occurence at http://www.howardchui.com/2007/03/14/nokia-5300 about [...]

stop-smoking-hypnotherapy&hellip  |  September 7th, 2007 at 10:04 am

[...] to deem this majestic theme at http://www.howardchui.com/2007/03/14/nokia-5300 about [...]

!!???  |  September 10th, 2007 at 3:47 pm

so wait…. how do u download the original music player that was *supposed* to be on the Nokia 5300? Rogers Music player sucks!!!

!!???  |  September 10th, 2007 at 3:51 pm

o nvm… found the vid link…i thought u were talking about the one in the bottom…

SL!M_P3TE  |  September 21st, 2007 at 3:45 pm

go to youtube and type unbrand nokia 5300 from rogers, its how i got my original music player back =]

!!???  |  September 26th, 2007 at 3:59 pm

how do u execute voice commands on this phone? Thx.

brooke  |  October 1st, 2007 at 10:39 am

It was my birthday on Saturday and I’d like to buy this phone. Is it a good phone?

k0nZ4  |  November 8th, 2007 at 7:43 pm

53o0 is good fone…but i just dont know where to get some new aplications or programs for it…

marci  |  November 12th, 2007 at 6:35 pm

my nokia 5300 sux i cant download songs without a memory card and it always gets stuck

jordan  |  November 16th, 2007 at 5:08 pm

do they break easily..????

BEN BUDGE  |  November 21st, 2007 at 10:47 am

i LOVE THIS PHONE SO MUCH I REALLY WANT TO BUY IT

madeline  |  November 29th, 2007 at 3:35 am

hey i want thsi ohone loks good is ir really a good phone couse i havnt had a nokia b4 and what shoudl i go with when i activate my sim card i want extra text would u happene to knwo what one i press

Daniel  |  December 30th, 2007 at 4:53 pm

How do I download the original music player for this phone because I don’t like the rogers music player in it. That one sucks.

Daniel  |  December 31st, 2007 at 1:42 am

How can I download the real nokia music player for the nokia 5300?

dede'  |  March 30th, 2008 at 2:23 am

bgus ngetzz

Alex  |  April 19th, 2008 at 9:50 pm

I got dis fone off optus, dont worry bout the buttons on the side, if u had the original music player you’ll proberbly never use them.
    But if your getting a new fone dont bother with this the slide is soo weak and I broke the back cover the first day I got it trying to get it off.

Brittany  |  April 21st, 2008 at 7:57 pm

I absolutely love my Nokia 5300. I got it from T-mobile and it works perfectly. Came with a memory card that holds 25,000 photos. Easy to put my music on, gets great reception, good text message interface.

doesntmatter  |  May 18th, 2008 at 1:48 pm

gay phone pfft sorry it looks really nice and stuff but .. wait till u get it .. it sucks :S waste of money

zia  |  June 21st, 2008 at 4:01 am

this is wonderful phone
    specially xpress music

andre  |  July 13th, 2008 at 5:44 am

dsshdn uifkkfvgojkdvb kdbikdshbsgyfyjnjvyfjh kbjbvbgugvuvsnvklsnksdzhizsgfusgusdojfdjfljdsihidbvucbuvgsuhgiudsisdhiusdhiusdhiusdisdhishisusduycxvcishvksdvksvksdhbvigscuygvuysdgvuysgvhsdkvhsdiufsduifgvusdgvusdgvuisdivsdivsdi

Christine Daily  |  July 22nd, 2008 at 6:56 am

This phone comes with a free set of M-4 speakers for all you UK 5300 want-to-be-owners! it’s also on a 15% discounted price, can’t go wrong! check it out at http://shop.nokia.co.uk

alcide lovo  |  July 25th, 2008 at 4:07 pm

cool the best phone ive had cause of the mp3 style always have music on it already got the 3 gb memory card so ihave like 500 song on it but only dislike is battery life all the rest five star

Reny  |  August 17th, 2008 at 7:41 am

Hello ez egy nagyon jó kis teló én is ilyet szeretnék!!

Hypnosis Melbourne Hypnotherapy  |  August 30th, 2008 at 1:06 am

Great post, Its causing me to rethink some things

phoenix713  |  October 27th, 2008 at 4:57 am

both my 5300′s side buttons work with the Rogers Music Player. And to put music on I just rip from my DVD player (has that function) and than tranfer the music into the music players file. Plus I bluetoothed ripped music from one player to the other. But I can’t wait to debrand and get the proper Nokia player.

CHRISTINE  |  August 17th, 2009 at 8:59 pm

I REALLY WANT IT I WILL DIE IF I DONT HAVE THAT I WILL GET CRAZY I REALLY REALLY WANT IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ginildo Gomes Da Silva  |  September 17th, 2009 at 8:19 am

Tenho Um Nokia 5300 mais ta um pouco velho Queria Saber como e que posso fazer com este nokia tambem ele esta com um pouco de viros o meu numero e 002456961182.
    muito Obrigado