Sony Ericsson W580i

September 11th, 2007

Here’s my review of the Sony Ericsson’s W580i Walkman phone.

The W580i is a slim slider phone with a neat trick; it has a built-in pedometer along with some neat programs to make use of it.

Make sure you check out the gallery for some pictures.

Physical Impressions:

When closed I like the look of the W580. The shape is cool and the curve on the bottom is interesting and smart at the same time. However I’m not that crazy when you open it up. There are these lights on the side plus you get these shiny things on the keypad that kind of remind me of a rapper’s teeth.

While the W580 is a very solid phone, it feels too empty and light. The body is made from hard plastics which make it feels a bit cheap.

The keys have a good feel to them but I wish they were a little bigger.

The display is nice and bright, and looks great indoors.

Hands-free usage:

You get the usual stuff here; Bluetooth headsets, stereo headphones and a speaker phone.

The included stereo headset comes apart at the microphone so that you can use your own headphones without losing hands free capability – smart.

Miscellaneous:

There’s a fast port accessory connector on the right side. It’s used for USB connectivity, stereo headsets and charging. The memory stick micro slot is located on top of the screen behind a door.

Compared with most Sony Ericsson phones, the W580 is quite similar software-wise. Where the W580 differs is that it has a built-in pedometer (which counts how many steps you take) plus some programs that make use of it. By default, the W580 shows you how many steps you’ve taken for the day on the standby screen.

There’s a running program that will tell you how long you’ve been running for in addition to estimating the distance you’ve traveled plus your average speed. You can set a minimum or maximum speed in case you’re slacking off or running too hard.

The pedometer is a neat feature. Hopefully Sony Ericsson will come out with a phone with a large vibration motor which can attach my to my belt and shake away my stomach fat.

Menus:

The menu looks and works great. The icons look nice and there are some cool transitions and animations. There is a lot of attention to detail with the menu look and feel. Even though there are lots of transitions and animations, the menu is still very fast.

There’s a menu button which lets you quickly switch between applications and even run more than one program at once (to a degree). In some ways the W580 – and the rest of Sony Ericsson’s newer phones really blur the line between ‘smart’ phone and a normal one.

Phone Related Features:

Like most phones these days, the W580′s phonebook is pretty straight forward. The phonebook is split into entries with each entry having multiple bits of info. Information is split into tabs with the leftmost tabs holding more important info.

You can quickly change the profile by pressing the power button.

Connected Features:

As far as USB performance goes, the W580′s fastport isn’t all that fast. It takes about 62 seconds to transfer a 30mb file which translates to a leisurely 483kb/s. Please note I was transferring files to the memory card so it’s possible that a slow memory card may be a bottleneck.

The USB has 3 different modes: modem, file transfer and pict bridge. You use modem mode if you want to sync the W580 with your computer. File transfer, aka mass storage mode lets you connect the W580 to any newer computer so that you can manage files without needing a special driver. Pict bridge is used for connecting the W580 directly to photo printers.

You get Sony Ericsson’s standard email application which works well with POP3 and IMAP4 mail boxes.

One nice thing about newer Sony Ericsson phones is that they include a browser from Netfront. When you browse regular webpages (like this one), Netfront will try to draw the page so that it fits properly on the W580′s small display. Netfront works okay but it’s really slow when it comes to drawing large pages (such as the HowardForums.com home page). Some of this is due to the fact that the W580i only supports EDGE speeds.

Once a page has been drawn, the scroll speed is decent.

Multimedia Features:

There is a built-in 2 megapixel camera. There is no built-in flash. Otherwise you get the usual; shooting modes, night mode, self timer, colour effects and white balance.

Image quality is average for a 2 megapixel camera. It’s noisy (like most camera phones) but you still get usable shots.

To take pictures you press the center button. Once you’ve taken a picture, pressing the center button again will take you to various sharing options instead of taking another picture. If you want to take another picture you need to press back before you can take another one.

The W580 is a Walkman phone which means you get Sony Ericsson’s Walkman software and a Walkman button in front of the phone.

I like the Walkman software. It can organize your music by artist/album (though not genre). You also get an equalizer that actually works, plus you can control music playback with the side buttons even if you’re doing something else with the phone. Most importantly music sounds pretty good.

There are stereo speakers on the sides of the W580i. They aren’t bad and they are pretty loud but I have heard better (such as the W600i’s stereo speakers).

The camcorder app can only record videos with resolutions of up to 176×144. The video playback app supports videos with higher resolutions than 176×144 but there is no full screen mode to take advantage of this.

You also get VideoDJ, PhotoDJ and MusicDJ which let you play around with your videos, photo and music. They’re pretty interesting if you’ve never used them before.

Organizer Features:

Like most Sony Ericsson phones you get an Alarm, Calendar, Tasks, Notes, Timer, Stopwatch, Calculator and Code Memo.

With the alarm, you can see when it will go off on the standby screen. You can define multiple alarms and choose whether they are reoccurring or not.

The Calendar, Task and Notes can sync with your computer.

The Timer also shows up on your standby display but not the stopwatch. However, you can still use the stopwatch while you use the rest of the phone’s functions.

Code memo is just a place where you can put important bits of information in a password protected place.

Impressions:

Incoming sound quality is good. The only problem is the earpiece could be a little louder.

RF performance is excellent.

Conclusion:

While the W580i isn’t quite an entry level phone it got me thinking of how far phones in general have come. Despite its price tag, you get an awful lot of functionality; a real email client, full web browser, a good mp3 player, fitness functions, an average camera, PDA functionality, etc. It’s a lot easier than it used to be to recommend a midrange phone to someone who wants lots of features.

While most midrange phones don’t really have any unique features, the W580i’s fitness features are still pretty original. If you’re a fitness buff you may appreciate the W580i since there is now one less thing you have to carry with you when you go jogging.

If you take a lot of pictures you might want to try a phone that takes better pictures (notice I didn’t say one that takes higher resolution photos).

For gadget freaks, the W580i doesn’t have every feature imaginable, go try something more expensive.

For everyone else I would also recommend the W580i. It’s not missing anything really important and doesn’t have any glaring weaknesses.

Ratings (out of 5)

Build Quality 4
Battery Life 4
Phone Related Features 4
Ease of Use 4
RF Performance 4
Overall (not an average) 4
*Please note these ratings are temporal and are really only valid for the date they were assigned. A phone which receives a rating of 5 a year ago will probably get a lower rating today.

Pros:

• Walkman program works well
  • Menus are very stylish
  • Memory card slot
  • Fitness functions are neat
  • Strong RF performance

Cons:

• Keypad could be larger
  • Camera application is inconvenient

Discuss this review at HowardForums.com | See the gallery here
Written by Howard Chui 09.09.2007
This article may not be reproduced without the the author’s permission.

Entry Filed under: Phones

xpherion  |  September 11th, 2007 at 7:32 pm

I like this phone, there is no CDMA version of this phone.

ivwshane  |  September 16th, 2007 at 2:22 am

The link to the gallery goes to a moto phone, the correct link is here.

ivwshane  |  September 16th, 2007 at 2:23 am

Anonymous  |  September 18th, 2007 at 3:09 pm

i want to get this phone but .. im hearing problem with the keypad craking so im kinda of worried about that.

David  |  September 27th, 2007 at 1:05 pm

Nice phone but I cant belive that they have a phone on which the keyboard cracks. Mine is, I wonder what SE is doing about it.

Mlexxus  |  September 28th, 2007 at 5:57 pm

Nice review but last time i checked my w580i the stereo speaker was under the navigation pad.

chanel  |  October 10th, 2007 at 3:05 pm

I have the w580i and have no problems im just sick of it lol. if someone is interested in buying or trading let me know.

Nyah  |  October 16th, 2007 at 1:20 am

Playstation » Comme&hellip  |  October 16th, 2007 at 7:28 am

[...] Michael McWhertor wrote an interesting post today onHere’s a quick excerptI didn’t believe anyone about the cracking buttons until it happened to me 2 weeks ago(it’s only a month old). [...]

A  |  November 1st, 2007 at 2:35 pm

I wanted to use one of my MP3 as a ringtone, however I was told I should use the APP format? What’s that and how can I get that application? Is there an easier way?

w580i  |  November 17th, 2007 at 12:14 am

how can i use my mp3 songs as my ringtone?

newwalkmanowner  |  November 17th, 2007 at 12:33 am

My w580i died three weeks out of the box. I shut it off one day and was never able to turn it back on. Problem is common; just google “w580i won’t turn on” and see other complaints about it. Am having to pay my own shipping to send it back to Sony to fix/replace a brand new phone. Why should I have to pay anything to fix an inherent flaw that has affected many people’s w580i’s?! My girlfriend had trouble with her different model Sony Ericsson phone and sent it it for replacement; they replaced it with one with a faulty camera that goes off nonstop until the memory is full. I won’t buy another Sony phone ever.

Ambia  |  November 19th, 2007 at 3:08 pm

Think before you buy this phone. Looks great, details. However when talking on the phone, the other persons voice does not sound clear, also the battery life is apalling. I am shocked. Previous phone D750i is excellent though.

Sad but true. x

Buy sony Ericson W580  |  November 22nd, 2007 at 7:01 am

Sony Ericsson W580i FOR BUY Here:

Sony Ericsson W580i FOR BUY

ICEDOGG  |  November 24th, 2007 at 12:36 pm

Just wanted to let all who may be lookin for a way to beat the system with rogers firmware not letting you use you own mp3s as ringtones this is how i meat it ……………. go to downloads.com and first search for an mp3 ringtone maker….. so you can choose the best part of the song (which makes it shorter and easier to use) then download wave pad masters eddition and convert those mp3s youve shortened … into Mp4… or m4p however it goes :P … then put the mp4s on your phone and you can use them in video DJ as soundtrack so record something like a pic or whatever u want add the mp4 of your choice as the soundtrack and edit away to whatever you want and Bingo … you got your own ringtone ….. your welcome because i was stressin for days and days to figure this out

Daniel Salukee  |  November 30th, 2007 at 11:50 pm

I am looking to be buying a sony ericsson w580i but I am not sure if I want to get it anymore do you think it is worth getting or another phone

No One  |  December 3rd, 2007 at 2:56 am

newwalkmanowner is full of shit, and so is ambia.

unHappyw580iOwner  |  December 25th, 2007 at 1:37 am

another dead Sony Ericsson w580i… I bought this phone on black Friday from the AT&T store. I like the phone. It seems to have a good balance of features and size. Today (xmas eve) I fully charged the phone in the morning. Once every 4 days not bad. Later in the day I turned it off and tried to turn it back on and the phone would not power on. Taking out the battery and putting iit back in did not work either.

When I press the power button all that I see is a red light blink inside of the phone and then nothing …

Anybody else have this problem? or know how to fix it?

Otherwise it is going to be another trip to the store the day after xmas. :(

~Ph3NoM~  |  December 27th, 2007 at 2:04 am

It’s a good phone, at least that was what i thought until mine froze. I have no idea what to do now. How do you open the battery cover?

jenn-is-not-happy  |  December 29th, 2007 at 3:11 pm

unhappyw580ilover,
    my phone did exactly the same just this second, it wont even let me charge it! :s

i accidently let the battery get so low it turned itself off, so i’m thinking that could be something to do with it?
    mine has little red light that flashes too :\
    anyone know how to fix that?

also mine used to come up with a box whilst i was in the middle of using it saying ‘insert sim or watch demo’, something like that & then i wouldnt be able to use it
    my friends did the same, & it got sent off & shes not going to get it back for at least a month, & she had only had it for 2 days

if you get the ‘insert sim’ problem, what you have to do, is take you battery out, & leave it for a while., about half an hour. then take your sim out, blow it, and put it back in until it clicks, it has to be in properly or the problem willl keep occuring. then put your battery back in & it should work as normal
    note: this doesnt work for absolutely everyone, but it has worked for me & a few people i know who have had the problem

bob  |  December 29th, 2007 at 6:42 pm

the phone is good but not excellent but my keypad is fine

phonedude!!!!  |  December 29th, 2007 at 6:44 pm

is it normal that when you press the keys on the right the slider jiggles a bit

scotttt  |  December 29th, 2007 at 6:47 pm

to open the battery cover just get a hammer and smash it and it should come of easly but you battery might be a bit damaged but this id what i done and it worked perfectly

vEe  |  January 2nd, 2008 at 6:52 am

my FIRST* w580i, which was the grey and blue one had a crack on the #4 on the keypad, but i ignored it. then later on my friend had the white & orange version, so i decided to trade my blue one with the white one. as soon as we switched sim cards, the white phone worked fine, but my grey/blue one didnt turn on.. so he went home and tried to charge it. it didnt turn on it only gave a little vibrate and shut back off… before these comments, i never knew whut it was that screwed up my phone, but now im so sure that, this phone is crap. lol i totally regret giving up my telus & going out and purchasing a rogers sony ericsson.

thedude  |  January 3rd, 2008 at 1:01 pm

the memory stick latch that protects it fell of on the first day because i was changing memory sticks over so i tried to open it but it was tought so i tugged it harder and the whole thing ripped of so im gunna go back to the shop and try to get it replaced or i might swap it for a samsung u600 if they let me but i am really annoied because the phone looks great but the build of the thing is just crapppp!!!!!!!! ={

matt  |  January 3rd, 2008 at 11:34 pm

I’m having the same problem, not able to turn on. i get a little vibrate, but that’s it. funny thing is, i took it to an at&t franchise to ask them about a different problem –not able to text message photos — and the guy pulled the battery out and sim card and wasn’t able to get it turned on again. so becuase this was a franchisee and not a REAL AT&T store, I have to take it in or ship it myself. meantime, i’m out a phone. also above is true about MP3s not working as ringtones. so far, not please with product. Not at all.

siva  |  January 4th, 2008 at 6:46 am

w 580i is really a crap..
    i too had the same ‘wont switch on’ problem and i when i enquired a service center he told that he has 14 pieces already with same problem. he himself doesnt know when i can get back my piece n im worried of its stability after getting repaired.

ashley  |  January 6th, 2008 at 4:22 pm

i have this phone, but the only trouble im having is putting my music onto the phone. i dont know if this is because you need a memory card? i used to have a sony erriscon 300, the flip, and i had no problem transfering my music onto that. i find this w580 is much more complicated to put music on, unless im doing something wrong. can anyone help me with this? do i need a memory stick to even put a few songs on? any help would be great!

rob  |  January 7th, 2008 at 1:19 pm

me too. Just got two (family plan) new w580i’s in the mail. Charged them both. Neither one turns on! When I disconnect the charger a shutdown process shows the AT&T symbol and then nicely shuts down. I can’t get the phone to turn on (yes it gave me a message of fully charged)

geoff  |  January 7th, 2008 at 2:09 pm

i bought my daughter the w580i in september 2007 for her birthday 4 month down the line 4 digits on the keyboard are off . i thought she was just doing it herself to get a new phone until i read these comments.

Greg  |  January 10th, 2008 at 7:39 pm

Same thing with the power off and no turn on. I got the red blinking light behind the left -/c button and a little vibration. I did get it to come one for long enough fro the phone to startup, buit died after that. No warning as far as bad battery. I’ll hook the battery up to my multimeter to test the voltage.

Leesha  |  January 11th, 2008 at 11:52 pm

I personally love this phone. The pedometer is my fav feature, and when going for walks, its lightweight body seems like it isn’t even there. I have had a few random freezing episodes but after a few minutes it corrects itself.

I am quite disappointed about the MP3s not being able to be played though. How inconvenient and annoying.

Otherwise, no problems on my end.

HOW THE FUCK?  |  January 12th, 2008 at 2:27 am

how the fuck do u put in the sim card…

Sabby  |  January 13th, 2008 at 9:38 am

It doesn’t swith on…the same red light problen….wtf?..neither does the dealer know abot it nor the company is responding…my Rs 13000 have gone waste…..But i got a trick to put it right….SMASH THE PHONE AND GIVE IT TO THEM….lol

bum crack  |  January 15th, 2008 at 2:09 pm

hi

asd  |  January 16th, 2008 at 9:20 am

to you that cant insert the sim.. read the instructions ffs. Anyway, theres a hole above were the battery is and when you put in the battery it pushes the sim card up

Saritha  |  January 23rd, 2008 at 4:50 am

Think before you buy this phone. I bought w580i from Univercell just 10 days back. This phone is hanging and has an echo problem. This is really very bad..
    10 days old mobile and the shop guy says it needs to be formatted. I think this is a bad quality phone.

Patty  |  January 23rd, 2008 at 7:40 pm

I am beyond pissed off…I have the same problem everyone else has!….MY PHONE WON’T TURN ON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It vibrates and blinks and im beyond pissed, i love this phone but COME ON!

Whitey  |  January 25th, 2008 at 12:09 am

Same old prob as every one.. little vibe…nothing…wtf? what can i do?

Brodie  |  January 26th, 2008 at 3:14 pm

Dont Kill Me If You’ve tried this already, but the red light indicates ether a battery failure or that it needs charging. My horrible SE Phone does it, on the power button when it needs charging. just plug it in for 5 minutes or so then try turning it on when its still plugged in and it should tun on.

David  |  January 30th, 2008 at 3:41 pm

To start with i really love the w580i but i have a few problems with it. I have mine now 4 months and its already fucked the back of it where the camera slides up and down is all scraped, everyone of the nombers have split down the middle and to really piss me off the step conter doesn’t even work any more, and yes i know what your thinking “o sure you’ve probley dropped it a couple of times” but i haven’t. I’m really pissed off wit it.

Katy  |  February 1st, 2008 at 11:51 am

well this phone is crap. 2 weeks after we got it the speaker was doing that echoey thing. so we sent it to sony to fix. came back a month later. not fixed! sent it back again another month… and the phone was fixed! but now it wont turn on. just vibrates and wont turn on. i have no red light though. does anyone know how to reset these things? well the problem that we have now was caused because we changed sim cards from cell one to at&t. when we put the cell one card back in the phone wouldnt turn on. and it hasnt since. oh and if u wanna put an mp3 as a ringtone you have to save it to a different file. i think u have to save to the phone itself then you should be able to set it as a ringtone =) good luck guys

bizzyb0t  |  February 2nd, 2008 at 8:46 pm

My w580i from AT&T was great. However, the AT&T firmware is total crap. I used XS++ (v3.1) and “debranded” the phone. Now, I can use any song (any size, any length) at a ringtone or alert and my phone is acting a lot more stable. I honestly think that debranding my phone improved it’s overall performance. My menus are snappier, buttons respond quicker and my JBenchmark score went from 6713 to 7230.

dpadd  |  February 5th, 2008 at 7:32 pm

So you can use an MP3 as a ringtone for this phone but you have to download a program like Audacity and shorten the MP3 to 20 seconds or LESS… you cannot use a full song for ringtone

sandra  |  February 8th, 2008 at 1:13 pm

hey every1…after i read som of ur comments i jst cnt believe how crap this fone is. my fone is bout 4months old n the buttons r snapd in half & 2 of them actualy cum out! it looks sooo crap nw! i wil go n try n fix it bt if it wnt work then i dunno i might send it 2 sony ercisson. bt im not sure reli how 2 do this. cn som1 PLZ help me! write to me sandra3516@hotmail.com
    x x x

paganbill  |  February 8th, 2008 at 8:49 pm

the phone not powering up is a simple fix.

the problen is the sim card. if you don’t use a pen or a screwdriver to push it in till it clicks the phone only vibrates and doesn’t power up. i sent one back and got a new one and then a smart sales rep told me about the issue. BOOM fixed!

that and the sim card goes in upside down compared to most regular phones. follow the little picture in the phone……besides that….mine is great now.

TreyW580i  |  February 12th, 2008 at 5:01 pm

For those of you having the Inactive Sim problem: I had this problem too. I would always take the battery out and blow on the sim card, and put it back in and it would work for about 30 minutes. I took the phone to the Centennial Wireless store and found out that I had to push the Sim card in until it CLICKED in. My fingers were too big to push the little booger in all the way, so I never really noticed. (the M2 micro SD expansion card clicks also).

I really like this phone because of the apps and easy use (don’t forget the great sound when using the earbuds). Unfortunately, I’m on my 2nd w580 because my display went out (turned pretty rainbow colors then went black) and the top right buttons on the front went out.

jenn-is-not-happy  |  February 14th, 2008 at 8:59 pm

further up, you can see my cmmnt about how my phone had the red light problem or whatever, well a day after i posted that, if that, it started working again :\
    i just left it on charge & it seemed to sort itself out
    i’ve had no problems since

oh-so-worried  |  February 16th, 2008 at 7:23 pm

well i have hade my w580i for about 2 months now and i have had no problems, so far. however the reason i found this site was because i was trying to find out how to download the software. when i connect my phone the the computer via USB i click file transfer (i want to ulpoad my pictures) but it says i need the software so i was trying to find it.
    Also i never even thought about the keypad cracking but i after i read these comments i examined my keypad and sure enough. as stated before my 4 button is really weak.
    when i press to the left of it it begins to start to pop off near the ugly metal ball thingy..
    well im no worried it will soon break.
    thanks for your help guys :)

btw. does anybody know a site i can get the software from?

Eric  |  February 18th, 2008 at 8:32 pm

How do u get the freaking sim card out i cant its like its stuck up there!

keith  |  February 19th, 2008 at 9:11 pm

This phone is pissing me off…i payed full value for it so around 450$ cdn and i only had it for 2 months now and the left light is all messing up… if i have a theme with blue lights the left side glow’s green or red while the right side remains the correct colour blue… any one else have this problem? any onw know how to fix it… if i put a little pressur were the Sony logo is the colour changes back untill i close the phone then it starts glowing the wrong colour again. if some one knows how to fix this please e mail me at Keith_340@hotmail.com thanks

karlo  |  February 21st, 2008 at 3:13 am

I love this phone, and its great, but one thing is pissing me off about it….. the right light doesnt work properly. So lets say Im using a theme which makes the lights blue, one light would be the regular blue colour, but the other would be sorta purple. I noticed that the left LED is weaker than the right.

If anyone know a way to fix this, Email me at karlo_krakan@live.ca

karlo  |  February 21st, 2008 at 3:14 am

Cant edit my previous post, but where I said left LED is weaker than right, I mean Right LED is weaker so:

I love this phone, and its great, but one thing is pissing me off about it….. the right light doesnt work properly. So lets say Im using a theme which makes the lights blue, one light would be the regular blue colour, but the other would be sorta purple. I noticed that the right LED is weaker than the right.

If anyone know a way to fix this, Email me at karlo_krakan@live.ca

gururaj,bs  |  February 22nd, 2008 at 9:27 am

Hi , this is guru..from bangalore .i brought new sony erricsons w580i. but when i conected to computer ..the mobile is going to hang..i try 2 three times but no use ,,any one know the answer ..switch off is also not possible..removing the battery is only worhing..

Charlie  |  February 22nd, 2008 at 3:43 pm

Same thing happened to me i was trying to transfer music and i then pulled out the usb cable and the phone just sorta crashed and then i was fiddling around trying to take that battery case off and when i did the phone didnt turn bak on, it just had a flashing red light on the right hand side of the phone

john  |  February 23rd, 2008 at 9:02 pm

im soo annoyed i bouht this 3 weeks ago and it echos,sound recorder dnt work,and it has got the red light thing know!!!

Nishant  |  February 26th, 2008 at 2:37 am

I bought a SE w580i from Bharati’s Mobile shop in jayanagar 4th block, bangalore on Feb 2nd 2008. The phone was working fine until yesterday. I had switched off the phone to replace SIM but after that it did not power-on. All i get is a little vibration and a bleak red light over the ‘C’ button. I observed that lot of people are facing this problem.
    Does anyone has a reason for this problem along with a solution??

steph  |  February 26th, 2008 at 7:12 am

i have the black version of this phone and i think its fantastic .. ive had no problems with it turning itself off … no cracked buttons .. the back hasnt even scraped .. over all i think the black one is the most successful one, the blue and grey one is bound not to be right as its the first phone they braught out in that model and its bound to have faulth which they would have worked on and have worked on which is why new models are now out:)

i reccomend the black one.

Nishant  |  February 27th, 2008 at 5:58 am

With ref to my post sent on “February 26th, 2008 at 2:37 am”

I took my phone to a SE service center. They fixed the problem by upgrading the phone software. I hope it never dies again.

g  |  February 28th, 2008 at 10:40 pm

how do u upgrade the phone software if the phone cant even turn on when you plug it in to the computer…can u upgrade it through the memory card?

person--  |  March 2nd, 2008 at 3:56 pm

i think for all you people who have it broken that A) those times were when it jus came out usally items that are new SUCK intell about a year. B) you people are being to agressive with your phone. C) there is accualy somthing wrong with it.

soo don’t get angry because you can call rogers and threaten to leave there company and they should be able to pay for it to get fixed.

musiclover  |  March 3rd, 2008 at 6:55 pm

man, I love this phone and all, but I cannot for the life of me figure out how to download songs onto it! All the sites I go onto are just saying this computer-geek language I don’t understand. Could someone help me? I LOVE music, and that’s like the main reason I bought this phone: for the MUSIC! Now i can’t figure out how to download music, and I’m crushed.

Max  |  March 4th, 2008 at 11:46 am

Musiclover – are you using the USB cable and have loaded the file manager software from the cd

hayleigh  |  March 8th, 2008 at 8:13 am

i have the blue and grey version and a couple of days ago i took it out of my pocket to see it had turned itself off and wudnt turn bak on again so i took the battery out and put it back in again and now when i switch it on the sony erricson sign comes on the screen but no button s light up ( wich are cracked) and i have to take the battery out again to turn it off.

Help!?

confused  |  March 8th, 2008 at 7:07 pm

I have this phone and every website I try to download music from, I have problems loading the songs on to my phone. Apparently itunes is only if you have an ipod (which i didn’t know) and then rhapsody gives me error messages. where can I download recent music for this phone that will actually work?

Comment on Sony Ericsson &hellip  |  March 8th, 2008 at 9:04 pm

[...] Chris Ziegler wrote an interesting post today onHere’s a quick excerptI have this phone and every website I try to download music from, I have problems loading the songs on to my phone. Apparently itunes is only if you have an ipod (which i didn’t know) and then rhapsody gives me error messages. where can … [...]

Charlotte  |  March 9th, 2008 at 12:25 pm

I purchased a pink and white one from the official store but within 5 months the screen broke, the bottom ledge snapped off and 3 buttons are broken. And how hard is it to take off the battery cover of the pink one??

Rajeev  |  March 9th, 2008 at 1:41 pm

My screen also broke…do they replace it ?
    What did u do about it….please mail me if you find something.

Rajeev  |  March 9th, 2008 at 1:52 pm

rajeeja at gmail.com

eileen  |  March 12th, 2008 at 5:15 pm

hi i have the blu and grey phone and its totally switched off and except for a small vibration it wont turn on im so frustrated! can anybody help me?

David  |  March 20th, 2008 at 6:38 pm

Hi, Just got this phone and this board has been great. I could not get a ringtone to work. This is how I got it to work. I first went to sony Here
    and downloaded there software. They also have free themes and other downloads. Then I downloaded Audacity there’s a great tutorial at lifehacker here

The ringtone has to be under 20 seconds for it to work as stated above.

Laura  |  March 24th, 2008 at 10:31 am

DONT bother with this phone seriously….i have had it 3 weeks and had 2 phones already do to the KNOWN fault of sony’s- spiltting keypads. i am waiting on a 3rd phone to arrive as this replacement has done exactli the same within a week. i barely use my phone sendin about 20 text a WEEK so for this to happen is awful!

Laura  |  March 24th, 2008 at 10:34 am

also to add to the above the battery life is shocking- full over night charge lasts a day with no use!

Nicole  |  March 28th, 2008 at 2:58 am

I’ve had my phone exactly 31 days.. SE W580i… I was at school and went to call back my friend, pulled the phone out of my purse and hit the button on the left to go to class w/o looking at the screen first….. well i hit this “shut down” … and now my phone will not turn on again….

I tried taking out the battery/sim/charing it …. and combo’s of everything … Nothing works… Any way of reseting this phone???

wtf did i do? .. Help!

Nicole  |  March 28th, 2008 at 3:00 am

I’ve had my phone exactly 31 days.. SE W580i… I was at school and went to call back my friend, pulled the phone out of my purse and hit the button on the left to go to calls w/o looking at the screen first….. well i hit this “shut down” … and now my phone will not turn on again….

wtf did i do? .. Help!

jenny  |  March 30th, 2008 at 9:22 pm

guys has anyone got any replys from SE about all these complaints,i just bought my phone yesterday and praying i dont find any of these faults,

Nishant  |  April 1st, 2008 at 1:18 am

To all those who are facing “W580i won’t turn on” problem,

Just take it to a service center and get the phone software re-installed or upgraded (You can also find a way to do it yourself by google’ing)

This had solved the problem for me about a month back and till now the phone is running fine.

anyways Its a bad phone, do not buy it !

Scott  |  April 6th, 2008 at 11:53 pm

Gah!!!! Same problem with my gray and blue w580i … the 3 and 6 button cracked a week or 2 after i got it. And now 3 and a half months later. I was just replying to a text message when my phone just cut off and won’t turn on. .. All it does is vibrate … GAH!!! How can they get away with selling such a lousy product.

Kooos  |  April 8th, 2008 at 6:37 am

All of these comment’s about the SE W580i seems to be with only the Blue and Grey phone, And I didn’t heard of someone with the other colored phone having any problems.??? wtf going on?????

george  |  April 10th, 2008 at 10:03 am

I have the black one and my phone died in the middle of a conversation. It won’t turn back on and I get that blinking red light but no vibration. They told me to send it in but I have no idea how long it will take. I pretty muck like the phone but I just hope this does not happen again when I get my phone back!

Kate  |  April 14th, 2008 at 5:17 pm

I got the w580i for xmas and it was fine – for about two months. Then the left soft key -/back came out of it’s little socket. I didn’t drop the phone or get it wet or anything. I called AT&T and they sent a replacement phone. I’ve had the replacement for almost 10 days and now it’s having the ‘vibrate/att logo/turn off’ thing. When my phone IS working, it gets frozen on text messages frequently. I’m seriously thinking about getting a new phone at this point because of the headaches it’s causing.

This isn’t bullsh*t! I thought it was just me, but I’m glad (and sorry, too) to hear that other people are having this problem!

Ti'Andra  |  April 15th, 2008 at 12:02 am

I have had my phone since october of 2007 and today it decided to freak out and it wont show a screen it just does this fuzzy white screen and the goes black and then it does it over and over. My key pad cracked and it freezes when i do somethings. Sometimes the sound wouldn’t work and i had to turn it off and then turn it on for it to work…I loved my phone but it pissed me off.

Cassandra  |  April 17th, 2008 at 4:09 pm

The buttons cracked on me the 2nd day. only had the phone for 2 months and already replaced it twice

Beki  |  April 22nd, 2008 at 5:12 pm

my buttons cracked after about a month and i just left it until i couldnt text anymore. so i took it to carephone warehouse and they fixed it for free – i think they charge sony and its quicker than sending it off. and i dont have insurance with them. it was really slow and used to freeze and now its fine…..we shall see.

Anonymous  |  April 25th, 2008 at 11:23 am

my fucking phonw ont fuckin turn o n

charmaine  |  May 1st, 2008 at 1:48 pm

i have the exact same phone right and my button has cracked only one doe but i was woundering can it get fixed plz comment urgenly or contact me on my email address

shervon  |  May 2nd, 2008 at 4:35 pm

i go the phone in dec, and in march it decided to get a sim card, while changing it did come on shit…..so wat do i do

JenIsPissedOff  |  May 2nd, 2008 at 9:48 pm

I got this phone for my birthday in january. I was really happy with it, but im a teenager and we always drop things. I’ve dropped my phone a few times and its fine but it scratches really easily i have these big black marks on my phone now. Just yesterday when i went to get my phone it wouldnt turn on and it kept blinking red when i tried to turn it on. I am really annoyed because i got this only a few months ago. Now i need to take it in or repair and after reading all the other comments…this will be soooo annoying!!! Dont get this phone…try a nokia they are the best :)

annie  |  May 3rd, 2008 at 12:06 pm

I have this white w580I. I bought it off of EBay and it has a user password lock on it. I have tried to reach the seller and he says he doesn’t know the code. Does anyone know how to do a master reset orwho can unlock this?> Thanks

Courtney's mom  |  May 3rd, 2008 at 5:05 pm

She bought the phone in November, has been sent away four times to be fixed, three times to Kansas, once to Indiana, and now it is broken again. There have been all kinds of problems, no cracking keys, but all kinds of error messages that say to report it to a service dept. We get the phone back and it works for a couple of days to a couple of weeks. We have to pay shipping, and they won’t give us a new phone despite the bull-shit one year guarantee. So far it has been out for service more days than she has had it home. Where is the Better Business Bureau on this one?

gourmeyt  |  May 5th, 2008 at 9:31 pm

i bought the color blue of it recently and i it gives me fuckin’ problems in less than a month of using it. hirs my good advise, never purchase any of SE phones anymor…!

Chinmayi  |  May 11th, 2008 at 10:14 am

I bought blue one 3 days ago and problems started just 2 days after I bought it! While I am able to make outgoing calls, and my phone is on callers to my phone get a “phone switched off” message. It wasnt a SIM problem as it worked fine on a different handset. What is worse is that I bought this phone mainly because they advertised a 9 hour talk time for the battery but it drains out in about an hour of talkitime which is BAD. Im yet to see how good their warrant support is….

How bad is the battery on my phone compared to yours? I reset the talk time after a full charge. It tool 32 mins of talktime to drain out 70% power, and 15-20 minutes later the whole battery drained out..

...  |  May 15th, 2008 at 3:42 pm

this phone is stupid, not only does the screen brake easily, the keypad cracks, it dosent turn on and the back takes about 20 years to take off i well dont trust sony erricson phones now.

Ankit Gupta  |  May 23rd, 2008 at 8:43 am

My black n orange w580i was working fine and it was also fully charged. I saw a message on phone “SIM Inactive” and the signal strength was very low. So I decided to shut down it and restart.
    But now my phone is not turning ON, and there’s a red light which blinks when i try to restart or charge the phone. Now I have given it to the SE Service Center. Has anybody found the way to flash/reset the phone manually?

chris  |  May 30th, 2008 at 10:18 am

my phone froze up just like everyone elsese and i had it replaced. new one felt more sturdy than the last, so i was happy. but last night, what do you know it froze up again…. it wont turn on.

donkeykorg  |  June 2nd, 2008 at 6:33 pm

Gee, I love this phone

Ankit Gupta  |  June 5th, 2008 at 7:27 am

NO Solution.
    Get ur phone replaced at SE Service Center.

Abdul Khaliq  |  June 5th, 2008 at 8:43 am

Hello there’
    I have got a sony ericson w580i from london and currently i am in pakistan but it doesn’t work here when i insert the sim it says insert correct sim card.So plz if u have and idea how to solve this do not hesistate i m waiting for the answer.
    Bye bye
    HAVE FUN !!!

Shan's w580i  |  June 6th, 2008 at 12:12 pm

Well, glad I found this place. I’ve had my w580i for 4 months, it’s been replaced once already. Problems I’ve had:
    1. In the middle of a call, I can no longer hear the person on the other end but they can still hear me. I have to hang up and call them back.
    2. Cracked keys. I’m not a heavy txt or cell user.
    3. Currently, my phone will no longer turn on. Just the red light comes on. Have taken battery out, Sim card out, tried charging it (will not charge).

It’s a cool phone but so many frustrating things about it!
    I’m going to the dealer today to get a loaner. Sigh.

deputamadre  |  June 8th, 2008 at 5:31 am

my fone won’t turn on… no red light, just a small vibrate. won’t charge either. tried everything people suggested on here but nothing.. last time i buy a sony ericson!

Why?!! :(  |  June 12th, 2008 at 12:10 pm

I want that phone … but after this comments !! :S
    i don’t think so …. : ‘(

steve o  |  June 14th, 2008 at 6:31 pm

im might get the phone should i say yes?

fedia  |  June 16th, 2008 at 10:17 am

I had the phone for over a month now and noyhing happend

TIRED OF THIS CRAP !  |  June 16th, 2008 at 12:13 pm

this phone is useless ! if anyone is even concidering buying one yur making a giant mistake ! me and my friend that i stay with have problems with it we have the same phones he bought his a month after me and it broke almost two months later i have had mine for almost 6 months and it went hay wire this weekend !!! 3 BUTTONS SPLIT ! THE BUTTONS ON THE TOP WITH THE SCREEN ALL BROKE AND THE LIGHTS DIED NOW THIS MORNING THE SCREEN JUST DIED … DONT MAKE THIS MISTAKE my friends phone did the exact same in an even shorter period of time ! BEWARE !!!!

TIRED OF THIS CRAP !  |  June 16th, 2008 at 12:19 pm

anyone know of a reset button ?

TIRED OF THIS CRAP !  |  June 16th, 2008 at 12:21 pm

i have always trusted nokia for years and knew this shit would happen with sony ericsson and i`ll never ever buy one again or encourage someone else to buy one !!!!!

w580i is a POS  |  June 16th, 2008 at 8:06 pm

I bought my first black 580 , from att .

had it EXACTLY 30 days , on the 30th day it broke .. Thanks god I didnt have to deal with SE .

Well I got a new 580 have had it maybe 3 weeks an it just died on it .. I’am gonna try an trade it in on a shine.

Yoda  |  June 18th, 2008 at 8:54 pm

Troubles…SE, never been a good phone and no support. Nokia…is on their way out…the old products were the best but they have gone down hill fast…only their high end phones are any good but very expensive. Samsung are pretty good but hard to get parts for and Motorola is still making a halfway decent product, not as sweet but better than many others, parts are available but they are trying to make that difficult too. :0

Lisa  |  June 19th, 2008 at 10:50 pm

Phone is a piece of crap. Had to return to sony for a replacement after it refused to turn on after having it for only a month. Now the two main buttons on the frount have popped off, one was lost and I am unable to get the remaining one to pop back in. These are the main buttons used for unlocking and answering the phone. Dont buy this phone. It is to much trouble for the price.

Solution! - ArmyAnt  |  June 20th, 2008 at 1:34 am

I have found a problem around the Red Light of Doom! This is caused by the phone running out of batteries, dieing and never coming back to life. This happened to me a moment ago but i found by charging the battery outside of the phone then putting it back in then stick the charger back in turning it back on then when you see the charging screen hit the power button again it turns back on. At least it worked in my case. I was lucky however as my phone package came with a spare charger. If this works for you just make sure you never turn it off as this begins the hideous cycle again. Its a good looking phone with tones of features… thats where i was suckered into it. Iv only had it for 2days and its practically broken! 1st and last ericsson I buy

Benoit  |  June 20th, 2008 at 9:07 pm

Well, I guess others are having the same problem that I had. I couldn’t turn the phone on. You hit the power button, and the phone vibrates and sometimes the AT&T screen comes on, but then the phones goes out. I thought it was a problem with the battery, but to find out it was a problem with the phone. I took it to a AT&T store and they confirmed that it wasn’t the battery. Luckily, the phone was under warranty. I took it to the Device Support Center (DSC) and they replaced the phone. Needless to say I have only had the phone for less than a year and this crap happens. I bought this phone because I couldn’t get a replacement battery for an older LG phone.

skaandar  |  June 22nd, 2008 at 12:16 am

i just got this phone — i can’t believe how awful the battery life is. this is a replacement for a razr that i lost in the city…..which lasted like 3 days on a full charge. i charged this phone at 10:30 in the morning, and have had it on till now (1 am) and the battery is almost completely dead. NOT EVEN 24 HOURS!! and I only made 3 phone calls.

soufrt  |  June 22nd, 2008 at 12:28 pm

my sonyw580i also have same prob. littile viverate but not blinking (red light) hey someone tell me to fix this problem.
    pls…………..email me ………….pls.
    but i think this is not a good phone for use.my nokia 7610 is good .pls help me to sort out this problem.

Elias  |  June 24th, 2008 at 11:17 pm

I have the gray and blue one since dec 07, and the only problem i have had with it was the memory stick that came with the phone, (when saving a file the phone freezes until i got the card out, but when i changed the MS the problem was gone).

All this had happened and the phone is running flawlessly: I have changed the SIM card, it has turned off because the battery was completely discharged, i can use mp3 as ringtones, i can view videos in fullscreen, it has no broken keys, although the phone has fallen from a table several times it has no problems, just a little scratch of course, the battery lasts for 3-4 days even listening to mp3′s for several hours a day.

it’s my second SE and overall it hasn’t been less than excellent for me.

kevin  |  June 30th, 2008 at 6:22 am

hi i love your phones

kate  |  June 30th, 2008 at 5:02 pm

i live in england and i 2 had this crap phone,it went off one day never to come back on!!and the red light syndrome!apparently its a software failure that needs to be sent to sony to be cleaned up?dont fall for the have you dropped it in water crap!this is a common fault with these phones and we should have our money back!!

carooll  |  July 4th, 2008 at 1:31 pm

this fone is a peice of crap
    somtimees it may turn on and sometimes it may not i would much ratherr have a samsung slider then the walkman

Anonymous  |  July 10th, 2008 at 11:36 am

sss

Anonymous  |  July 10th, 2008 at 11:38 am

i think this phone is good and the lights look cool, so whoever is saying that this phone isnt good then all of you are idiots

Anonymous  |  July 11th, 2008 at 3:34 pm

& your mother is she idiot ??

zz  |  July 12th, 2008 at 2:12 pm

I liked the phone but now it’s stuck open. Does anyone know how to fix this?

george  |  July 16th, 2008 at 1:22 pm

my w580i went off(power failure) and could not work again

Anonymous  |  July 17th, 2008 at 8:15 pm

I have had this phone for about 4 months now with no problems whatsoever.

sung  |  July 18th, 2008 at 9:59 am

MY PHONE IS SO FUCKING GAY IT JUST KEEPS VIVERATING AND WONT TURN ON AND I SEE PEOPLE HAVING THE SAME GOD DAMN PROBLEMS AND I AM PISED OFF COS IT WAS WORKING FINE LAST NIGHT & I WAKE UP TO CHECK MY PHONE AND ITS MOTHERFUCKING DEAD..
    WTF

kelvinnn  |  July 21st, 2008 at 12:19 pm

lol the people that like this phone dont have any hardware problems.
    and that was the same with me until my phone wont turn on.
    im fucking pissed cus i got it like 4 months ago and its already fucked.
    its the exact same problem as everyone else has.
    and the thing is that i didnt buy it from rogers, so i dont have a warranty.
    i dont really know what to do know.
    but save yourself some trouble and dont buy this phone.

Beth's Mom  |  July 21st, 2008 at 1:32 pm

Well i want to buy this phone for my daughter She wants it in pink, but reading all these comments , i am not sure anymore . Does this depend promblem with the phone not turning on the colour [ the grey and blue make]. She is interested in the shake feature but when my sisters daughter shook the phone it went off. what do i do?

kelvinnn  |  July 21st, 2008 at 4:58 pm

okay so i figured out a way to fight that nasty “wont turn on/show a red flashing light”.
    basically, i was screwing around with my phone, trying to get it to work.
    and i tried holding the power button and the center button at the same time. it turned on!
    i was soo happy.
    so try this and if it works, email me
    kel.vinnn@hotmail.com

jamillah  |  July 28th, 2008 at 2:39 pm

580i sucks, first week froze, won’t answer calls and now it has a blank screen. I was told to update phone…but that didn’t work..sc sucks I will no longer but these phones

Mel  |  July 29th, 2008 at 4:57 pm

I’ve had this phone since september..
    first my back button stopped working
    then my up button stopped working
    then one night, my phone just switched itself off automatically (pretty sure it’s not because it ran out of battery) i tried to switch it back on, no response. I then tried taking the battery out and put it back in. The phone just started vibrating non-stoppingly. I took the battery out and put it back it again and it kept vibrating again (this process has been repeated several times). Then eventually stopped vibrating (maybe out of battery). I brought it for repair but they have no idea why. I kept the phone off for a few weeks and have just tried turning it back on and it’s back to normal. VERY STRANGE

Louis  |  August 3rd, 2008 at 5:14 pm

I got this phone on friday (2 days ago) and its ok so far but its a bit annoying sometimes. For some reason, the button below the back button takes me to the menu… On all the online pictures and the try out on the sony ericsson website and the site I was getting it on, there was a different picture on the button which takes you to a screen that brings up new events such as text messages and missed calls then you can scroll right to show running aps, then shortcuts then internet. I just think its completely pointless having two buttons that take you to the menu !

The battery life is pretty shocking and i have had to charge my phone every day since i got it but I suspose i have been using it to get use to it… but still its not good.

Nothing has acctually gone wrong with the phone so far though,, its just not the best phone out there. Also i got it on orange and some of the stuff that you cant delete is a pile of poo and just takes up space. Also the menu screen is anoying because it stays orange and white even when you change the theme.

Just thought id let everyone know how I feel about my phone (:

Louis  |  August 3rd, 2008 at 5:21 pm

Im reading all your comments… people dont like it because it keeps turning off and buttons break and lights stay on and it vibrates and whatever. Mines has no problems.. I just dont like the phone :)

Louis  |  August 3rd, 2008 at 5:24 pm

another thing.. what a strange place to put the speaker dont you think?
    took me a while to work out where the music was coming from lol :)

Bernie  |  August 3rd, 2008 at 11:19 pm

I like the phone, its average but not the best phone out there. Kind of cool where the sound comes from, but all these open slots make it easy for stuff to get in, but in my case, its water and sand :s.
    I was at the beach and I dropped it into a puddle of water. Right after, I turned it on it worked, but a few minutes later, I noticed how it wasn’t working at all. I thought it might be the battery, but it isn’t. I swapped someone elses battery, but it doesn’t work. The only thing that happens is it vibrates. I sometimes see the red light, and the vibrations end. But after sometime, the phone vibrates again. Is there any hope for this phone??? I’m past my 30 day warranty. lil_midgit666@hotmail.com

Laura Taylor  |  August 14th, 2008 at 2:30 am

wow this is weird, because literally for me about an hour ago, i noticed my phone was shut off, which was strange cause i never shut it off. then i tried turning it back on and it would only vibrate and a red light would appear only on the left side. Ive tried taking th battery out doing all that blabla, it wont charge either.
    its the blue and grey one too D:

what do i do :|

fed_up  |  August 14th, 2008 at 10:27 am

OMG!!! blue/gray w580i, shuts off, doesn’t turn on, red light on. called the people from sony. they ask if u swapped out the batteries, if it fell, and if it was exposed to extreme tempertures. your best bet is, if it is still under warranty and wasn’t damadged by heat or dropping, to send it out and get a new one. the warranty on the new one starts from the day you bought the old one. any questions send me a message at myspace.com/confused92

Amy  |  August 15th, 2008 at 12:39 pm

I have the black one, i have had it about 5 months and after about 3 months it started to say that the SIM card hadn’t been inserted and it started to shut down randomly.
    After about 2 months of this, I read on the internet about how to take the back off (place one thumb on each of the n’s in Sony Ericsson and pushed up). Once i had taken the battery out i used some scissors to push the SIM in more. Once i heard the click i put everything back together and it all worked!
    I havn’t had any problems with my phone other than this, no lights or cracked keys or anything.

Fucking ridiculous  |  August 15th, 2008 at 8:35 pm

I have the pink and white W 580 i and I have the same problems as mostly every one else here. GRRR I AM SO FUCKING FED UP WITH THIS PHONE the sucky thing is that i got it from a private att store with out a warranty I was stupid. THIS IS SO FRUSTRATING . i thought that it was just me, then my bf told me to google my problem and I am finding that this phone sucks.!!!!!!!!!!!! Is there anyone that can help me when it died and never turned on again so when i try to turn it on the RED LIGHT blinks on the right above the “c” IS THERE ANYBODY THAT CAN HELP ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THIS PHONE IS SO FRUTRATING
    please email:D
    riptide177@hotmail.com

Fucking ridiculous  |  August 15th, 2008 at 8:36 pm

Hi sry me again forgot to say its not the battery . I took it to the att store and the guy put in a new battery and it did the same thing

please help me
    riptide177@hotmail.com

ohmygod  |  August 16th, 2008 at 4:30 am

My Boyfriend brought the phone only yesterday, now today the phone will not even switch one we have taken the battery out and the sim etc and still no joy, we shud hav read this site before buying the phone it CRAP!!

Kazelcwl  |  August 22nd, 2008 at 3:53 pm

Hi webmaster!

Anonymous  |  August 24th, 2008 at 12:07 pm

I’ve had mine for about a year now and I have had no problems until after I had finished charging it one night it simply would not turn on, after trying everything it would still not work and when I try to turn it on a red light on the C button lights up and it vibrates once, after that there is nothing more

Kazelepi  |  August 25th, 2008 at 5:37 pm

Hi webmaster!

soma  |  August 26th, 2008 at 1:35 am

Hi webmaster!

teck siong  |  August 27th, 2008 at 3:04 am

me having the same problem today, blinking red…cant switch on…
    i tot only me facing this problem…

Danny  |  August 28th, 2008 at 6:35 pm

To All Uu Guys With The Red Light Problem (I Have Found Mostt Are The Blue Version Which Has A Older Software Version) The Soultion Is Easy… 1st Get Your Usb Cable. 2nd Download SEUS (Sony Ericsson Update Service From Sony Ericsson Site ) 3rd Install It To Your Computer 4th Run It. It Will Download Updates From Sony Ericsson 1st Time. Follow Steps An Do Not Connect Usb Cable Before It Tells You To.

Email: danny_rogers12@hotmail.co.uk Email Me If It Works

Peace

Brian  |  September 1st, 2008 at 10:19 pm

Same thing happened to me… Red Light..

I just plugged it in and it worked.. (Eventually)

seane  |  September 12th, 2008 at 5:41 pm

hi does any one know how to brake the personal password on this i forgot my and now i cant even use the phone please help

???  |  September 28th, 2008 at 12:25 pm

ive had the pink phone for only a month.. now it won’t turn on.. and has the red flashing light problem. if i can get it fixed, probably gonna trade it in for another one.

the phones crap, don’t waste your time.

Christa  |  September 28th, 2008 at 2:13 pm

My daughter and I both have this phone and mine was sent back for repairs 3 times and they finally replaced it. Mine was randomly locking and unlocking during calls and when trying to use the camera it would send me back to the menu screen. Now my daughters phone is acting up and it is only 2 months old. First the space button doesn’t work and now hers is randomly locking and unlocking. I have not heard of this problem on here so hopefully this is not another defect that is starting to surface. Called them today and they have not heard of this either so I’m sending them her phone tomorrow. My advice……you probably shouldn’t buy this phone.

kelly  |  October 1st, 2008 at 2:18 pm

hey, i have a question hopefully someone can answer it for me. I’ve had a problem with this phone but i love it. it’s one of my FAVORITE phones. but, i accidentally dropped it in a puddle&aired it out for a month. now, it’s working again but when i turn it on the screen flashes the picture. does anyone know how to fix this problem or should i just get a new battery to see if that works?

please contact me at.. kellymacxo@yahoo.com

lotskie  |  October 1st, 2008 at 9:27 pm

w580i? what i attracted most is the design it’s really cool, the white on …but need ur advice…do i need to buy this phone?…after i read ur comments…ill decided to go back to nokia phones..

lotskie  |  October 1st, 2008 at 9:39 pm

w580i? what i attracted most is the design, it’s really cool!!, (the WHITE ONE) …but still need ur advice…do i need to buy this phone?…after i read ur comments…ill decided to go back to nokia phones..

Noel  |  October 2nd, 2008 at 2:12 pm

RED LIGHT RED LIGHT!!! Man what’s up with this phone. I got the same flashing red light problem. The battery was low and i got a call. And i tried answering it and it just hung. Then i had to remove the battery to switch it on n off coz the power button wasnt working either. When ever i tried to switch the phone on i got a flashing red light under the C button. Since i thought maybe its a battery problem, i decided to take my bro’s phone battery to see whether it would make my phone turn on. But even that didnt work. So now am stuck wondering what to do. Guess i need to take it to the Service center.

:@  |  October 5th, 2008 at 5:56 pm

This phone is pathetic
    I have the red version from Orange. I only got it because my old one (which was only 6 months old) packed in (SE).
    So I thought o this ones looks ok why not get it. So I did
    I’ve had it barely 2 months – haven’t dropped it at all. The face is covered in scratches, the paint has chipped off! The keys are getting more loose everyday and now the phone wont even turn on… just flashes a red light.
    How SE can sell such a disaster of a phone I don’t know.

arty  |  October 9th, 2008 at 10:50 am

I had the same problem with the red light. I got my pink one four months ago, worked pretty well, only problem until now was with the earphone adapter. One of the little copper things broke off. got a new one easily besides the point. the red light was a problem with either the memory card or the sim card. Push sim card ALL THE WAY IN!!!!!!! USE A SCREWDRIVER OR PENCIL OR SOMETHING TO GET IT IN ALL The WAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    V
    ()()
    /\
    It could also be the memmory card. use a micro SD card and make sure that little thing on the top is all the way down with the card. If the card gets bumped, it will make the holder thing bend a bit so watch out for that. I REALLY want to replace mine. cant upgrade, family plan, wait for another 3-4 yrs. by then another phone will be in the mix…. GAAAHCK

Anonymous  |  October 9th, 2008 at 6:44 pm

DO NOT BUY THIS PHONE. I’m on my third one in only six months. The first one froze and even the power button didn’t work. I tried removing and reinserting the battery and that didn’t work. I returned it to the AT&T “support center”…some support – gave me a replacement phone which lasted for about a month. The display screen just went out all together and it wouldn’t power off. Another trip to the “support center” – had it for one week so far. I’m sure it’s just a matter of time before it gives out again. DO NOT BUY THIS PHONE!!!

matt  |  October 18th, 2008 at 6:19 am

would love to say this is an amazing phone because it is but the it just has too many problems. ive had the cracked keypad issue and the not turning on problem several times now and each time ive had to wait a week for its return.

confused...  |  October 24th, 2008 at 10:59 am

i am not sure how to download free songs from the internet onto my phone (which is a sony ericsson w580I) can i get some help here?

melissa  |  October 24th, 2008 at 2:23 pm

i used to have a sony ericsson T236 then I went to motorola phones. It was time to upgrade so i decided to try the w580I since i had such good luck with my previous sony phone. I had pretty good luck with it for the first 3 months i had it. Now, sometimes when I receive a text message, it won’t tell me. the little symbol will show up at the top, but the notification won’t pop up, and also my keys are starting to crack, and yes, i do text, but i’m not a texting maniac who goes through thousands a month. Also my battery life isn’t that bad, it last through talk time, but when I listen to music, it drains it out fast.
    And I downloaded the sony music program to put songs on my phone, i think it’s called disc2phone, but it sucks. I just drag and drop stuff to my memory card and haven’t had a problem with the music or playing ringtones.
    I wish that the phone had better quality, cause i’m about ready to switch back to my motorola razr.

melissa  |  October 24th, 2008 at 2:24 pm

oh yes, and i have the white and orange phone, if that makes any difference.

Lauren  |  October 24th, 2008 at 11:51 pm

I have the very same ‘red light’ problem with my w580i white phone. It’s very frustrating to find that a) it is not the battery or sim card that isn’t working, b) there was no way for me to predict my cell phone’s ‘death’

I set the alarm for 8 in the morning, turn the phone off, go to sleep. The next morning the alarm does not go. I try turning the phone on. It does not.

The most frustrating thing of all is that I call the service center and they tell me I should have ‘backed up’ everything beforehand. Essentially, that it was my fault for not predicting the phone’s sudden, inexplicable, unreasonable death.

w580i  |  November 1st, 2008 at 2:50 pm

THE RED LIGHT. it means you need to recharg you phone, dummies.mabey your charger is broken.duhduhduh.
    buy a new one, red light=dead battery.
    this phone isnt crap. its got good features.

HELP ME.  |  November 1st, 2008 at 2:58 pm

ANSwer my question???

my fone won’t turn on… no red light, just a small vibrate. no light or anything..
    any suggetions?
    :XX

thatoneguy  |  November 3rd, 2008 at 2:39 am

this is the fuckin worst phone ever!!!! it is a piece of shit!!! I am on my 3rd one of the same phone and now i am having the same red light problem and nothing will work to fix it. WORST PHONE EVER!!!!! W580i sucks no matter what people say.

Frustrated  |  November 12th, 2008 at 7:42 pm

Right, i’m on my third w580i, i’ve had the whole cracked keys thing and it stopped saving my sent and received messages and didn’t seem to be able to hold any new information.
    Now, on my third phone i woke up this morning and the phone was on but the red light on the left side is on permanently. I tried resetting everything, turning it off and on and charging it and the light just won’t go away. Also my messages seem to be screwed up again as when i send one it doesn’t save it and when i receive one it puts it somewhere in the middle. Plus when i try to ring someone it doesn’t store it in the calls list.
    Does anyone know vaguely whats wrong with it? Or is it back to getting yet another replacement from Orange?

ConanOB911  |  November 14th, 2008 at 12:08 am

New grey/blue w580i won’t turn on and just vibrates.
    Please Help!!

No technical service here in Bolivia has the answer to this problem.
    Please Help!

Aidan  |  November 14th, 2008 at 3:39 am

I am on Rogers Wireless Network (Canada) and I have been searching the Internet for ways to use mp3 ringtones. I have gotten close, but nothing has come to actually allowing me to select `Use as Ringtone` option.

I have tried installing every Sony Ericsson program available, even converted files using the Sony DRM Packager that “forward-locks” files.

Does anyone know of a way around Rogers horrid money making scheme. I am not about to shell out $4 to $7 a pop for a damn ringtone, especially ones that are not what I am looking for! I know what I want, and I have already created it. It is under 20 seconds long, and a small file size. It is perfectly edited for a nice loop :) I just want it to work on my phone.

Should I try contacting Rogers and bitch and complain to them about the lacking feature that the phone is to have? Does anyone have any suggestion on work around for this? All I want is a badass ringtone!

I did manage to have one situation of my phone not being able to turn on, but that was only because I had accidently disconnected my phone from my computer during a “firmware” reinstall, so it had nothing on it. For everyone who has this issues, perhaps just trying to update your Firmware could solve this issue, or just reinstalling it! :)

If someone can pleaes email me at aidan @ daydreamz.net with ideas, thank you!

ihatethesonyericcsonw580i  |  November 18th, 2008 at 3:57 pm

this phone absolutely sucks.
    i wasted my money on this piece of crap.

the phone store lied to me and said that the keys would definetely not crack, well a month later..6 keys cracked…speaking of crack, all of the people who sell this phone are on it.

i dropped it once, and it fell apart into 5 pieces! and now the frontplate doesnt fit on it, and the screen doesnt fit.

so my opinion: do not buy this phone, its a waste of money.

Kristin  |  December 11th, 2008 at 3:05 pm

I have this phone and I love it. Ive had it for a little over 6 months, and I have never had a problem with it. The keys have not cracked for me, and I am a college student who sends about 5000 texts a month.

As far as mp3s for ringtones, if they are under a minute long, you will be ok. Anything more is a no-go.

I recommend this phone for music lovers. I also use the camera as if it were my own digital camera, The only problem I have with it is its quality at nite time, As far as the camcorder, I think it takes great video compared with other phones.

I love this phone, I have never had a problem with it. It has great battery life and I think it is a great buy for anyone.

=)

Stephanie  |  December 13th, 2008 at 4:45 pm

This is the worst phone ever made it does nothing has no memory and in 6 months it will just shut down on you and you will be with out a phone. then they will send you an other one just like it so it can breake in another 6 months i addvise you not to buy a sony ericsson unless you like entering and reentering you contacts over and over again then this is the perfect phone for you. My mom thought it would be nice to go out and bye me the exact sme phone that keeps breaking i would rather not have aphone then have this one it sucks. O and the speeker breakes too. I was happy when it crashed because i thought i would never have to use a sucky phone like that. i learned something though i know i will never in my life use a sony ericsson phone in my life i will never buy an other onre again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

josh  |  December 14th, 2008 at 6:32 am

this phone is fucking shit!, i have it, it starts to turn off every once in a while. and the memory card sometimes comes out

Jennifer  |  December 21st, 2008 at 2:55 pm

this phone is awful!
    I’ve had mine sent away to be fixed 3 times and now it’s just broke again.

the first time the buttons broke… so basically every time I pressed any button it would select (as though I was pressing the ‘select’ button on the top left) so every time I turned my phone on it would go to menu – text and keep sending messages to the first person on my contact list =/

the second time it turned off and when I pressed the on button it would flash red and vibrate.

the 3rd time the same thing happened and the buttons where cracking so they replaced them as well. also the volume button fell off so they fixed that too.

and now it won’t turn on again and every time I press the on button it vibrates and the welcome page comes up and it goes off again. I’ve just plugged it into the charger and nothing has happened. NOT HAPPY.

Battery life is alright until you listen to music, go on facebook, record/watch videos. so yeah, crap battery life as well!
    DON’T BUY THIS PHONE (:

Anonymous  |  February 8th, 2009 at 9:26 pm

DO NOT BUY THIS PHONE!

UNHAPPY CUSTOMER AT&T  |  February 8th, 2009 at 9:29 pm

DO NOT BUY THIS PHONE….DO NOT COUNT ON AT&T to treat your warranty fairly. I bought this phone as a birthday gift for my son 7 months ago. I hasn’t been able to charge for over a month. We have no idea why. When we tried to use the 1yr warranty for replacement we were told we had gotten the phone wet…untrue. AT&T wouldn’t give up, insinuated we lied & turned us away empty handed. They would not repair replace or honor a $135 reiumbursement if I cancel our contract. Nor would they give us a decent replacement in lieu of the existing contract. 7 months use of a unreliable phone is not worth this. I will do my best not to spend money for my next 3 kids’ phones at that AT&T store. As well, I will not buy Sony Ericsoon ever again.

MapleWalnut  |  March 3rd, 2009 at 2:06 am

I was a loyal Telus customer for 6 years and never had any issues with the phones that I received while on 2 3-year contracts with them. However, as local number portability came about, I began researching other service providers. What drew me to Rogers was the Sony Ericsson w580i – in pink, of course. It was the epitome of ‘girliness’ and the beginning of 7 months of pure utter drama.

On July 21st 2008, I switched over to Rogers and received my Sony Ericsson w580i. The phone, upon first inspection, was poorly constructed. I barely used the phone for anything other than phone calls and texting. If the intent of the phone was to be ‘useless’, then it fulfilled the description exceptionally well. The first issue came about on September 22nd 2008. This involved cracked keys, which I found were to be a common issue with this model. I sent the phone in and it was promptly returned to me with the keypad replaced. The next issue arrived on November 20th 2008. The softkeys were becoming detached from the frame of the phone. Again, I sent it in.

The third repair occurred on November 28 2008. For some odd reason, this issue (broken memory card cover) was not repairable and so, I received my first refurbished replacement phone. Next issue came about on February 3 2009. The slider phone stopped sliding vertically upwards and instead, began sliding diagonally, slightly, to the left. While not an issue with the phone function, I was not satisfied with the quality of the phone. So, I sent it in again and the service center again determined my phone was defective and sent me another refurbished replacement.

So, if you have been keeping track, that has been 4 repairs and 2 replacements so far. All in a little over 6 months.

Lo and behold, that replacement began doing the same thing – sliding diagonally, slightly, to the left. A little ridiculous, don’t you think? I call Sony Ericsson customer support and request to speak with a supervisor after I am told over and over again by customer service representatives (CSRs) that my only option was to send it in for repairs again.

The first supervisor I spoke to at Sony Ericsson was C****. When he got put on the line, I immediately got the impression that his only goal was to superficially appease me and get me off the phone. He very hurriedly suggested a swap, for a new or like new model, and then got me off the phone without even mentioning a reference number, RMA, or other details essential to the solution. So, I call in to Sony Ericsson customer support yet again. To make a long story short, I had to call in multiple times before I got the necessary documentation.

I finally got the e-mail from the repair center and the day after, February 18th 2009, printed everything off and sent the phone off. This counts as the fifth repair as it is the fifth time I have sent my phone off. I received a brand new replacement on February 23rd 2009.

Can you believe there was a problem with that phone too? The phone was missing the spring inside the memory card slot and so, I was unable to use the memory card with it (it wouldn’t stay down). Defective, once more. While still at the repair shop, I called Sony Ericsson customer support yet again. Instead of sending my phone in for the 6th time, which I was determined not to do – as this was getting beyond ridiculous – I was offered a swap by the Sony Ericsson CSR. She suggested that I go to a Rogers Wireless store and request a swap. To make a long story short, I was refused a swap at many Rogers Wireless stores. So, where does that leave me? I wasted countless time trying to actively solve my problem and was late to work twice. I still have a phone that does not allow me to use a memory card.

On February 26th 2009, I call in to Sony Ericsson again to see if there’s anything they can do. The CSR pretty much laughed me off the phone, telling me that all I need is a workable phone – why does it matter if it’s new or refurbished? I re-iterated my history of issues with the phone and the brand new replacement that I had in my hand. He informed me that my only choice was to send it in for repair (which would have been my 6th repair) and then laughed me off the phone. Discouraged, I called into Rogers again and explained my problem to a very sympathetic CSR who tried her best to solve my problem. She spoke with tech support and after concluding that there was nothing they could do for me, she transferred me to Customer Relations.

I then spoke with the most helpful CSR from either party that I have ever spoken with. She seemed determine not to let me off the phone until we had found a suitable resolution for me. She offered to upgrade my phone and while I was reluctant, since the w580i was the reason I switched to Rogers, she convinced me that my history with the w580i was too horrible to take another chance with it. I was offered the Sony Ericsson w760a. Hopefully, this replacement will be an improvement.

jojo bobob  |  March 23rd, 2009 at 2:38 pm

these phones are a peice of shit… the same things happened to mine. the keys cracked, the pound key dont work, the camera dont work, and now my phone wont turn on, it just blinks red when i try and when i plug in the charger….. FUCK SONY ERICSON PHONES… we should all get new ones for free, ones that dont break like the little shits they are

Martinha  |  April 26th, 2009 at 10:38 pm

Well…I got this phone last year in 2008 and just two days ago this phone fell down and got stepped by a car but not fully stepped on it from behind, on the street when I was riding my motorcycle. Magically the parts of the phone was not damaged but it’s a pity that the screen has been crashed and totally broken and I have change it. I am wondering where should I fix the phone. I really like the phone and for me the phone is cute with some interesting devices.

NIKKI  |  May 9th, 2009 at 5:21 am

ITS REALLY A NICE MOBILE BUT CAN I NOW HOW MUCH IS IT FIRST I WAS GONNA BYE W595 BY SEARCHING I FOUND THIS MOBILE AND ITS BETTER SO PLS HELP IM GONNA BUY IRT TODAY THANX

katy g  |  May 18th, 2009 at 11:26 pm

its a good fone and all but it wont last more than a year. i got mine for 2 years and after a while the buttons cracked and then the buttons quit working…..then one day it wouldnt turn on and all i saw was a black screen and a red line across it. idk what happened…. X(

Stephanie Lee  |  June 5th, 2009 at 7:49 pm

Okay, I bought my w58oi in August, and I thought this was the best phone I could possibly get. It was cute, it was a sliding phone, and the colors were nice(black and orange). But suddenly, on June 5th, it just wouldn’t turn on. I was getting out of school and I tried to turn it on to call my friends, but nothing happened. I told everyone, including my mom, but nobody knew what to do! I did everything: trying to charge it, taking the battery out, taking the sim card out, and even transfering the simcard to another phone just to see if it still worked. The only thing that ever happens to the phone is a red light that flashes for about two seconds. What should I do!
    DO NOT EVER BUY THIS PHONE, EVEN IF YOU THINK ITS CUTE. TRUST ME, IT SUCKS LIKE CRAZY!!!!

Virginie  |  June 27th, 2009 at 1:30 pm

I’ve git my phone for few years and now i’m getting the blinking red lights issue. I’ve read every comments in this page and tried all possible advices but non works. help pleasE?

Kelley  |  July 17th, 2009 at 5:26 pm

I hate this phone! My roommate has one that quit ringing…something with the speakers. It would accept calls, but she could never hear it ring (and yes we went through to make sure it wasn’t on silent or meeting).
    Mine won’t even come on anymore. I was having trouble and decided to download the update software and it went off and will not come back on. Just like all of the problems listed here.
    I’m sure if you’re trying to decide whether or not to buy this phone, you would have decided not to buy it after the first few posts here….but if you ended up on my post anyway, DO NOT BUY THIS PHONE!

lennart  |  January 13th, 2010 at 1:35 pm

an update via the SE update software worked for me! I had the dead phone problem as well, it only vibrated when I pressed the on button, or sometimes I had the red light problem. Now it seems to work perfectly again, hope it stays this way

Sim  |  January 23rd, 2010 at 1:16 am

I’ve owned this phone more than a year. I really like it. I like Sony Ericsson software too. I especially like the ease by which you can tether (I’ve tried tethering with Blackberry and Samsung), the Sony Ericsson PC suite is great. My phone hasn’t cracked etc. BTW, it has fallen twice onto concrete (getting out of my car). – other than scratches, no problem. My only question is that I can not seem to access the Saved boxes, when I connect to phone to my pc. The Draft, Sent, In boxes are there, but the saved just does not come up. Just so you know, I use the phone alot. There are some things that I don’t love about the phone but . . . still, nice phone.

W580i SUCKS  |  February 3rd, 2010 at 3:12 am

This phone sucks big time!. It has been just 5 months since I bought the phone and turns out to be a very ugly decision.
    It just turns off by itself, every now and then, and you have to take off the battery (Ah!! taking off the battery, sucks too) and put it in again.
    Also the receivers sound quality is very low.
    This was a very very wrong investment.
    Going to stay away from Sony phones forever!!

Julie  |  February 8th, 2010 at 2:57 am

I dropped my phone in water and it went totally dead and would not turn back on. I took it apart, dried it with a hair blower and it works fine. This phone has been dropped and totally abused and still works fine. I love it. It’s a very tough phone.

shelly kee  |  March 19th, 2010 at 3:51 pm

i like the phone just when u need help fixing it u cant there is no guide to fix proublems on ur own like when ur phone just starts showing black lines on ur screen they dont show u how to fix it i dont like that at all

shelly kee  |  March 19th, 2010 at 4:06 pm

ok if u drop ur phone in water quickly take out the battery and put ur phone in a bag of rice for like 24 hours the rice socks up the water and ik it sounds stupid but try it i hope it will work

shelly kee  |  March 19th, 2010 at 4:09 pm

does anyone now how to fix ur white sony ericsson w580i because mine has black lines all over the screen and i dont want to buy a new one help if u have suggestions email me Mizzougirl12348@yahoo.com for any questions or u know how to fix my phone thanx

Annak  |  May 27th, 2010 at 11:58 am

My w580i worked well for a year no buttons cracked, good battery life but one day it froze, took it to repair shop paid $50 got it fixed & unlocked worked perfectly until today, tried to charge the phone and got the red button issue, phone won’t turn on. Funeral for the phone schedueled for this weekend…

annoyed  |  July 16th, 2010 at 3:29 pm

so im driving home from work today and i hear the low battery noise, so i get home and try to text my fiance and it starts going into the messages itself, then procedes to try and text a business number(my dogs vet) then i try and exit and it wont let me, the screen comes up and says “you are about to send a blank msg do u want to proceed?” i try and scroll to “no” and it says “saved to drafts” then it goes back to the blank screen and tries to send it to the same number again. so i try and call my fiance and all throughout the call the phone keeps putting me on speaker phone and off it. it just keeps trying to send a msg. and it keeps trying to call random ppl on my contact list. wtf is wrong with my phone??? i know i didnt drop it in water, its been sitting in my purse at work all morning. help!