Why I’m stupider than you

March 31st, 2008

meltyman.png

So I was all set to go out when my wife noticed a funny smell. It turns out I put one of the batteries in my homemade PHS300 battery holder backwards. My batteries exploded, my man purse has a nice hole in it and now I’m looking for a place that sells the PHS300 and ships to Canada.

Remember, if you make your own battery pack, for the love of god put the batteries in the right way!

*update* I just tried plugging my PHS300 back in and it actually still works. Wow!

Entry Filed under: Phones

Bhagwan  |  March 31st, 2008 at 9:20 pm

The problem is than men shouldn’t use “purses” :-)

Howard  |  March 31st, 2008 at 9:33 pm

If I didn’t have my murse the setup would have been in my pants pocket. Ouch!

jerry 12  |  March 31st, 2008 at 9:57 pm

yea your wife would be mad to if it was in your pants pocket LOL

Toa  |  April 2nd, 2008 at 6:37 am

ouch that must hurt.

Collin  |  April 3rd, 2008 at 12:40 am

“Batteries Included”
    For Sure!

John  |  April 3rd, 2008 at 12:55 pm

You should glue little plastic strips on each side of the connector for the “male” side of the battery, so that if you put a battery in backward, it wont make contact. I wonder if anyone sells battery holders that have such a design already…

John  |  April 3rd, 2008 at 1:04 pm

Oh, and, what kind of Man-Purse do you use? I’ve been looking over the Maxpedition bags (can’t feel too self conscious about carrying my geek-gear in a bag designed for military/mercenary use and concealed gun carry!). I currently have a Lunada … I used to have a Fatboy, but it just didn’t give me enough room. Thinking about getting the Colossus (I’m not sure I like exactly how the strap on the Lunada feels). Curious what other people are using for their man-purses.

howard  |  April 3rd, 2008 at 4:36 pm

It’s an old sun dog bag. I don’t think that company has existed for a number of years now.

It was like 9 yrs old. I originally purchased it to hold my USR Palm Pilot Professional.

You can actually see some of the bag. it melted onto the PHS300.

Ed  |  April 3rd, 2008 at 9:08 pm

LMAO!!!! I’ve been following your site for years, and you’re awesome….I mean “Why I’m stupider than you”? Bwahahahaha!

But seriously, you and your site have been an invaluable reference tool for me. Thanks, and thanks for the warning!

WirelessAndy  |  April 8th, 2008 at 4:51 pm

This is why Howard is my hero.

You tried something every one of here would have attempted… increasing battery life.

And, you did something every one of here probably would have done- pop in a battery, backwards!

I just love the “aftermath” photo. Keep trying- I’d love to know how much runtime you get out of the final configuration!

moose  |  April 12th, 2008 at 10:21 am

no such thing as a man purse….just purse…..

Glad to see you are ok, things could have been worse.