Cleaning up my TV

January 13th, 2009

So my wife was complaining that all my extra stuff was making her furniture look ugly. Basically, next to the TV I had a xbox (for xbmc), PVR, network hub, slingbox pro HD and RF extender. I wish I had a before picture – oops.

I was thinking of fixing the clutter using wireless HDMI when it occurred to me that I should try something using the TV’s VESA mounting holes.
I ran out and got 2 pieces of thick aluminum slats and drilled holes in them. Then I mounted them to the TV. Next I got some nylon straps, melted the ends with a hot knife and added clips. Finally I strapped everything onto the back. Here’s the end result:

I was going to mount a power bar or UPS to the back but there wasn’t enough room as you can see… guess we need a bigger TV. Instead I plugged everything into a power bar so if I want to move the TV, all I have to do is unplug the power bar, cable and network cable.

I also thought of adding a cable and network outlet so that they’re right behind the TV, maybe I’ll try it later.

Speaking of moving the TV, it went from a manageable 60ish lbs to close to 90lbs. Heavy enough that it’s noticeably more difficult to move.

A couple of people have asked me about heat. I used a laser thermometer to check the temperatures. Unfortunately it didn’t occur to me to check what they were before I mounted everything but the hottest point on the back is right where the PVR touches the TV. Right there it’s 41C which seems okay since the PVR runs pretty hot.

I was originally going to put a network switch instead of a hub, but to be honest I don’t need the extra bandwidth as XBMC and the Slingbox Pro HD don’t use more than 10mbps.

You could also use the XBOX for games since the ports are not really covered but I’m only using it for XBMC.

I used an RF extender (with my MX950 remote control) since the TV probably blocks the IR signals going to the XBOX and PVR. If you look carefully, the PVR actually has 3 IR blinkers on it (2 from the Slingbox, 1 from the RF extender).

So anyways, with this setup, one person can watch videos using XBMC on the TV, while another can watch the PVR on some of my phones (SlingPlayer mobile is available on Blackberry, iPhone, S60, Windows Mobile and Palm), on a TV (using a SlingCatcher) or on a computer in HD.

Also, my wife doesn’t complain about how everything looks now.

Howard Chui
01.13.2009

Entry Filed under: Home Theater

jerry  |  January 13th, 2009 at 10:17 am

it looks nice but i am afraid Howard my burn his house down from the extra heat it every thing will give off.

Anonymous  |  January 13th, 2009 at 11:38 am

Yeah, Why didn’t you just put everything IN the entertainment cabinet and hook up an external IR receiver for he remotes? They can be bought pretty cheap. Great for wall mounting and hididng everything eles as well.

Sammy  |  January 14th, 2009 at 12:32 am

I just hope you won’t need to take any of those machines in for repair any time soon; it’d be a chore to undo all that to if one of the machines needs repair!

links for 2009-01-14 | hx&hellip  |  January 14th, 2009 at 5:41 pm

[...] HowardChui.com: Batteries included » Cleaning up my TV [...]

Joel  |  January 14th, 2009 at 9:05 pm

None of that makes sense. A switch is just a hub with intelligence. Not a faster solution nor the only piece of equipment that goes above 10Mbps.

kalok~  |  January 20th, 2009 at 11:27 am

Seriously Howard, aren’t you afraid of overheated?

Sean  |  October 15th, 2009 at 1:09 am

Hi Howard,

Great idea, my wife wanted an LCD in the bedroom with just a digital shaw box and I can’t stand to look at it. It sits on a stand that wasn’t there before and it’s always in my way. I want to mount it to the wall and get rid of the stand. This example is exactly what I was thinking of trying to do.

I’m wondering though, how do the remote(s) work when all the devices are out of the line of site? Any issues there? The last thing I need is to get everything hooked up and the wife has remote issues…lol

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks for the great reviews, keep it up. :)